Friday, October 29, 2010

East Coast Will Go West Coast

A large Starbucks decaf Americano...Yes to many peoples surprise I do enjoy their coffee, although refuse to use the official lingo such as tall, venti and grande, but I am digressing.  This simple beverage after my 5:00 AM run helps me transition from play to work and on this day not only awoke my senses, but also my mind.  

What does it mean to commit to something?  Is commitment seen as a virtue anymore?  Is commitment something to be feared or something that illustrates ones strength and courage?  


The Way I See It #76
The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.    
– Anne Morriss Starbucks customer
Commitment ignites action and means not only doing things when you feel like it.  It is a willful choice and acceptance that it will not be easy all the time.  It requires persistence with a purpose.  There is no justifying excuses and you do it because you have chosen the endevor.  I have started to recongnize that for me it has become too easy to walk away from a challenge and it has even become a habit.  The critic inside me says hesitate, be "rational" and remain comfortable or what I call survival mode.  Taking a risk often requires calculation on my part; thinking, rethinking and running over possible scenerios.  I find that once I make an initial commitment and believe in myself things become easier.  Of course I do recognize that there are fluctuations in desire to stick with a choice, but I tell myself that this is human nature.  I hope that the for me the results of making a solid commitment that extends well beyond my comfort zone will be invigorating and empowering because I took a risk, stuck with my choice and saw it through.  


So here is my public commitment, I am going to do something that isn't easy for me (realistically public or not I know that when I commit, I do so in every regard).    I am going to make the commit to training for Western States this coming year.  There is a lot of fear and uncertainty that goes along with this choice, although I am comitting to try. I am commiting to seeing this journey through in a healthy way so to maintain balance within me and my life.  It has become too easy for me to shy away from things when they are beyond my comfort zone, but it is time to venture out from the box that I live in. Who knows what awaits me, but I commit to finding out.  

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy every step of the journey! Your friends and family (and pups and chicks) are behind you every step :) Sending you lots of warm thoughts all winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Yay! I'm so proud of you. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to share some of the fun (yes, fun) with you. I have always found commitments to be liberating, but have also rushed to them and regretted later (to be honest tho, not as much recently as when I was younger...). I think you have struck the sweet spot of giving it some serious consideration and then making the commitment knowing it will stretch your limits. Smart lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So excited for you & look forward to following in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aliza, so happy to have found your blog. I want to congratulate you on an incredible running year--you rocked it!! good luck on the WS training. :)

    all the best,
    sue j. (misplaced Vermonter)

    ReplyDelete