Tuesday, January 18, 2011

El Número Siete

I must admit that by choice I do live a rather sheltered life from the ultra running scene. I do not get Runners World, UltraRunning, Trail Runner or any magazines beyond Vegetarian Times in the mail. Once and a while I will glance at race results to see how a friend did, but would rather hear it from them since position doesn't always speak to how the race went. For me it is too easy to get wrapped up with who is doing what in comparison to what I am doing. Don't get me wrong, it is not that I don't care or I am not interested, I just haven't been able to use all the information that is produced in a productive way rather than an anxiety provoking one.

Yesterday I started receiving emails from friends saying congratulations on #7. I scanned my brain for answers, number 7, what does that have to do with me? Then an email came in from Bryon with the link that would explain. The headline from UltraRunning Magazine read- Roes, Garneau Named Ultra Runners of the Year. Here I am living under my rock in Williston as I had no idea that there was even such a list, let alone that I was on it. As I read the article I learn that a panel of 18 race organizers from across North American submit ballots to determine the list. My attention then moves to the actual list as I scan it up and down, and yes I am #7.


I feel honored to be on the list with such incredible names surrounding me in all directions. I remember when I first started running distances from 3-5 miles I ripped out pages of magazines that were North Face ads featuring Nikki Kimball and Kami Semick. I tucked them into my exercise log for inspiration and motivation. They looked so strong, so focused and so comfortable. I dreamed that one day, I too might find strength and peace through running. I am getting there. 

Now I move to my other feelings, because there is no denying that they were there. Sometimes I get very conflicted about my running. Such a list provokes angst inside me. Surely it is just a list and at the end of the day who cares, although until I find a better way to digest such information I will continue to stick to my Vegetarian Times magazine, but I hope that someday I can look at such a list and not feel so torn.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you are not so into running that you get so consumed by what others are doing. I think what you are feeling is perfectly normal. It's OK to acknowledge that you are an incredible ultra runner without sounding conceited or arrogant. It's just a fact. You are who you are and it's OK to say "Wow, I did really well!". Clearly you have worked very hard to get your name on that list and you have earned it. I am in awe! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'm not surprised at all to see you on the list. You can't hide anymore nor should you. Now your running with the big dogs. This year will be fun to watch. Just keep doing your thing and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! We knew Chad was up to something picking you as his teammate.

    ReplyDelete