Friday, February 25, 2011

A Series of Misunderstandings

With over a week off from work and my husband in Italy I decided to venture out of my 20 mile radius comfort zone and head to Boston to catch up with some friends.  Before leaving Williston I did my 14 mile run and returned home to a ringing phone.  It was my father who invited me for coffee before I left.  We planned to meet at Starbucks so I scrambled to shower, pack and find a last minute chicken sitter.  After  arriving at Starbucks and waiting in line, I was greeted with a smiling face that knows me well, thus no need to even speak my order, just my fathers.

With the work goers coffee rush happening drinks were flying behind the counter.  They handed me a drink that had the name "Erika" on it and say that it was a mistake and it is my drink.  They also hand me another large drink as they tell me it was an extra.  Hence I now have two large decaf Americanos (misunderstanding number one).  I sit  with my father and we enjoy our time together as I down one of my two drinks and I saved the second for my drive out of state.

My plan was to take back roads to NH so I could stop and do some outlet shopping in NH before heading to MA.  I have driven the route many times and found myself rocking out as I was cruising up and over mountains and through small towns. As I made my way down Lake Tarleton road and then enter Warren, NH there was not another soul on the road.  Suddenly I am joined by flashing lights and realized that I was going way to fast.  Having been pulled over in this same spot before years ago I know that it is a one cop town, but I also know that he takes his job very seriously.  Knowing that I am in the wrong I pull out my license, registration and auto insurance and plan on not even mustering up a complaint or tear.

This is a portion of what happened:

(COP) "Ma'am do you know why I pulled you over?"
(ME) "Yes sir I know that I was speeding, but there is something wrong with me, I don't know what is going on.  My heart is racing, I feel like my heart is going to explode out of my chest!"
(COP) "Ma'am put your hands on the wheel"
            "Ma'am are you on drugs?"
(ME) "Yes sir"
(COP) "Ma'am step out of the vehicle"
(ME) "Oh no sir, I thought you meant..." (misunderstanding number two)
(COP) "Out of the vehicle"

The situation only gets worse as he decides to call for backup and search my car.  As he is searching I realized that my problem is caffeine related, I drank two large Americacanos that were suppose to be decaf, but all signs were pointing to otherwise.  This is what was going on in my head as my heart was beating excessively, my hands were shaking and I couldn't stay still.  "Lets see, 2 cups x 4 shots of espresso in each equals 8!"  Eight shots of espresso on an empty stomach that doesn't do caffeine in a matter of 2 hours.   As I am finding the time to do this math he is finding the time to discover white powder substances packed in baggies in my car (misunderstanding number three).

Long story short I eventually get released and told not to speed again.

Some interesting facts about Warren, NH.  The population of this small town is just below a thousand, but they still deserve to have people abide by the posted speed limits.   The first American shot into space was Alan Shepard who was born in NH, but not Warren.  On the Warren green they have a model of the Redstone missile which was used to launch Shepard aboard Freedom 7 into space.  My advice to you is if you see the missile you will probably soon see "the cop" so slow your speed.  Also remember that not everyone realizes that people pack things such as drink mix in individual small baggies. The concept of "fueling" while running is something far fetched to some (I didn't even try to explain the recovery drink mix).  I certainly learned a lot by leaving my 20 mile radius and that was even before arriving at my destination.



.

6 comments:

  1. oh gawd, that's funny. I hope that things improved on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliza - Truth is stranger than fiction. Even this would make good fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh... that is so scary! Thank goodness you weren't arrested! WOW! What a story! I hope you had a good visit after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Aliza!! I just found your blog via facebook. Crazy story!! Very well written too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck trying to sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I hope you had a great time anyway!

    ReplyDelete