Sunday, March 13, 2011

Plodding Along in The Land of the Blah-Blah

With the help of a massive winter storm on Sunday and Monday I ended up with a four day weekend.  I felt like a little kid waiting anxiously for school to be cancelled and it did.  Despite having Monday and Tuesday off from work I had a week of what I am deeming the blahs.
After completing the snowshoe marathon last Saturday I ran on Sunday and Monday and felt a little sluggish on uphills, but in general felt good.  Tuesday I crossed trained and then when I woke up on Wednesday I could barely walk.  Any pressure on my right foot caused pained.  I told myself to "walk it off"and get dressed for the gym.  I hobbled downstairs and it only got worse, so I hobbled/crawled back upstairs and into bed.  Could I take a sick day after having a four day weekend?  Of course I could, but I knew it really wouldn't help.  

I managed to make it through the work day and then headed off to the physical therapy for my foot.  I had a similar issue a few years ago which sidelined me for several months.  I was serious about taking care of this sooner rather than later so without hesitation I offered up rest, which I have never done before.  I knew in my mind a few days off now would be better than weeks off later.  My PT Andy and I decided on three days off to start.  On my days off I still went to the gym to do abs, arms, legs and to sit in the sauna.  By day three I couldn't resist the urge and found myself on the treadmill.  I began with a walk, then a jog.  I ran my first mile in just under ten minutes and I continued to run.  A nine minute mile, eight minute mile, sub eight, another and then a seven.  I was content with six miles, cooled down and stretched.  

I thought that running would make me feel better and it partially did, but I have diagnosed myself with a case of the "blah-blahs".  This morning I went to Bikram yoga to continue my progression with heat training.  About half way through the class I caught myself staring in the mirror thinking "wow I need to get my sheet together" (G-Rated Version).  The clock is ticking and everything is coming quickly whether I am ready or not.  Realizing this I find myself moving further into the land of blah, but eager to find my way out.  

2 comments:

  1. We were in Lake Placid this weekend and couldn't believe the snow. Assuming it was similar to VT. Good luck with the blah-blahs, and maybe pamper that foot a bit for the next while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aliza,

    I work with Gill & Francesca of Bad to the Bone Endurance sports. I wanted to reach out to you about the Ultra Race of Champions coming this September but I couldn't find your e-mail in your profile. If you don't mind shooting me an e-mail at alyssa.godesky@gmail.com I'll respond with some info.

    Love your blog! Hope I can get this to you soon,

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete