Monday, February 20, 2012

ABSOLUTE BLING! Suunto Ambi

Diamonds are a girls best friend...

So the saying goes, although I've got a better one.  The new Suunto Ambit is a girls true best friend, or for that matter anyone's true best friend.  The Suunto Northeast Territory Manager Bill Porter has been speaking highly of this watch for sometime now and he was gracious enough to let the watch out of his sights so I could take it for a test run.


























You maybe thinking, seriously it is just a watch, but don't be fooled this watch not only looks good and is comfortable, but it also performs beautifully giving you the data and information that you could need whether you are out trail running, mountain biking, ski mountaineering, etc.    Simply stated once you put the Ambit on your wrist you've got GPS navigation, performance tracking and a heart rate monitor.  The watch runs on a rechargeable battery and boasts up to 50 hours of usage on one charge.  

Bill gave me the quick guide along with the watch, but the watch is so user friendly that I didn't need to read the directions.  As Bill had explained to me previously over coffee, the Ambit has technology called FusedSpeed, meaning the watch uses both GPS capabilities along with an accelerometer.  What does this mean?  My understanding is that it has a faster response to changing speeds and terrains, thus it is more accurate overall than simply a GPS.  Also because the watch has GPS and accelerometer capabilities if a GPS signal is lost the accelerometer will keep those numbers ticking until signal is found again.

For my first test run with the Ambit I decided to incorporate exposed roads, class four roads, and of course tree covered single track.  It is no secret I have been using a Garmin 310 for the past several years, but the upside is I have something to compare the Ambit to.  As I put the watch on I immediately notice that the rounded face and low profile of the Ambit make the watch much more comfortable on my small wrist in comparison to my square and boxy Garmin.  I opted not to wear my Suunto heart rate strap, although can attest from past experience that they are very comfortable compared to other companies.  After exiting the house and asking the watch to connect to satellites there was no extending pacing of my driveway waiting for the connection.

I had the display set to show my overall distance, current pace and altitude.  The watch face is extremely easy to read due to the contrast of colors and the size of the numbers.  The buttons are raised from the side surface and push with ease and the watch responds with both a tone and notification on the display that my workout was being started or paused, etc.  Despite having cold hands I was able to operate the watch, unlike my Garmin.

At the end of my run by connecting the watch to my computer all of my stats from my workout were transferred to Movescount.com so I could analyze them or just have them on record for reference.  All said and done I was very pleased with how the watch fit, the lightness of it, and how it kept pace with me no matter what terrain I encountered.  I look forward to learning more about what this watch has to offer me and more specifically my training.  For now I just hope I can outrun Bill so to hold onto his watch until they are released in March/April.  

3 comments:

  1. THAT is one very cool watch that I've been drooling over since I first heard about it. I haven't been a fan of Garmin, or their customer service, and am dying to try the Ambit. Great to hear that your first impression is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It's pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.
    My page > heart rate monitor brands

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good and by the way that you are saying it. It performs great but bet that it is quite steep.

    ReplyDelete